• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash in Qt/lb adjustment

Junction26

Apprentice
Reaction score
I see that BS2 uses a 1.25qt/lb mash in.  Then it will tell me to add a certain temp to reach my desired temp of mash in.  OK but what if I want to mash in at 1.5 or 2qt/lb.  I can't seem to find any were to adjust the mash in qt/lb.
Yesterday I did a mash that had a pound of instant rice and 1.25qt/lb wasn't cutting it.  I can add 2qt/lb, but then what temp should the mash in water be?
Were is the adjustment for changing the qt/lb mash in?

The adjustment for water to grist ratio is in your mash profile.  Open up the mash profile and click on the mash step where the grain is added.  One of the options is the 'water/grain ratio' which you can set to the value you want.  BeerSmith will then recalculate the water temperature based upon the amount of water and grain for the recipe.

If you do this within a recipe it is specific to that recipe only.  If you make the change to the mash profile in the profiles tab, it will change that profile, but you must update the mash profile for each recipe to have that recipe reflect the new w/g ratio.

Thanks SOOOO much for asking this.  I've been meaning to.  I had looked everywhere and this gave me the (duh) moment of double clicking my mash profile.  Thanks guys!

I'm good for those DUH moments!
Bottling to day and got another question, but I'll post on a different thread.

Back