• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Equipment

mwillette

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm new to the software and i'm having a heck of a time just adding my brew kettle. It has a lot of other equipment in there already, but nothing like what I have.

I need to add my 20 gallon pot to the list. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Micah.

Seriously? never mind. I found the giant button that says "Add Equip"

Any tips on this tool and how I can utilize it?

mwillette said:
Seriously? never mind. I found the giant button that says "Add Equip"

Any tips on this tool and how I can utilize it?

:D This one made me smile,  I set mine up in minutes and it has worked pretty well.  The only thing I have had to look at is mash tun specific heat (as I preheat my tun) and this throws the numbers off.  It's pretty straight forward.  If you have a question about what a specific thing means, just hover your cursor over it and it will explain.  I love the software!

It took me a bit to get my equipment setup. the best advise I have is find something similar, if you use coolers, dupe the cooler, setup.
For the specifics like Deadspace, you need to know how much dead space your mash tun has. Basically how much liquid is it going to hold w/out giving up. This is not how much your grain absorbs, but rahter how much liquid stays if you try to drain it completely.
Boil off, again you'll need to figure out how much you boil off in a set period of time, 20g is going to boil less off than a smaller size pot.

Loss to trub and and chiller is how much liquid stays in your boil kettle post boil.

Unfortunately unless you know your system really well, it's trial and error. It took me 3-5 batches with the same setup before I had all my numbers dialed in. I made a change (adjusting boil off), then used the volumes it recommend, and repeated the adjustments. 

If you change stuff, like going from a mesh braid, to a false bottom, you will need to readjust.
One thing that that changed significantly for me, and made my strike water temp measurement was ensuring to take tun, and grain temp measurements, then determine appropriate strike water temp.

HTH,
AO

Back