• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sugar or molasses.

pellet38

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all. New to homebrew but getting addicted. Got and dried hops for an attempt at a colonial brew. Should I use sugar or molasses to prime for bottling. Thanks

Welcome!  I'm new to the forum and brewing, but already addicted to researching brews. 

I've gathered that molasses does not always mix uniformly into the beer, and the risk is creating some bottle grenades and some flat beers.  Try boiling in water to thin it out and assist with mixing.  The longer you let it condition, the more the molasses will mellow out (in a good way!). 

Have fun, and let us know how it turns out!

-Zach

Also, if you can get your hand on some spruce tips (or something piney), throw 'em in the boil at 60 minutes!

Thanks. that will help. A local brew house served spruce tip beer over the summer. On my list for the near future. Bob

Molasses will add a different and distinct flavor.
I made George Washington's small beer recipe, and it was mostly molasses. 
Very different.  I will try it again and try to improve it but in the smaller quantities like for bottling sugars it could add a nice addition.
Where did you get a hold of your colonial recipe?
I bought a book on colonial recipes and it turned out to be full of extract recipes, as if Thomas Jefferson used liquid extract!

End up bottling with about 8 oz  molasses mixed with warm water. after a week popped a bottle. good head. sweetness subsided and overall taste is good. Should be ready for Christmas. As for your questions, fermentation took place in cellar, not sure of temp but will keep track of all temps in the future.

Back