• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help setting up BS2 for MR Beer sized batches.

monsteroyd

Apprentice
Reaction score
I do Mr Beer sized batches. I don't really need BeerSmith for those, but I want to start doing my own mini hop boils and partial mashes etc. Can someone point me to where I should start in order to learn how to set up BS2 for this?

Basically I do 3 types of batches:
1. Mr Beer HME + DME/LME - don't need BS2 for these
2. DME + Hops in 1.25 gallon to make a concentrated wort, (might have some steeped grains too) that gets diluted down with water to fit in the Mr Beer keg (2.13 gallons approx.)
3. Partial Mash of grains (simple biab) + DME to make 1.25 gallons, then a hop boil, and then diluted down with water to 2.13 gallons.

I don't want to do bigger batches, (1.25 gallons is about all I can boil) or go all grain yet, but BeerSmith is such an impressive program, I'd really like to use it to take a little of the guess work out of the last 2 batch types.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Monty

You need to set up an equipment profile for your setup:

You can easily create your own equipment setup to match your particular set of equipment.
This is usually the best option as all brewers have slightly different equipment and losses.

There is a video on setting up your own equipment profile here:
  http://beersmith.com/video

Once you have your equipment profile created, locate a 5 gal recipe you like and use the scale function and take it down to the Mr. Beer volume and you are good to go

Or you can build your own recipes based on the Mr. Beer equipment profile you have created

Good luck and enjoy
Rick

OK I think I figured out how to do it. Thanks for the link to the video. It really helped. I'll try to post a picture here of the screen shot of my Mr Beer profile.

One question: Why when I make a recipe does it continually set the measured batch size to 5.0 gal, when it should know based on the profile, that my fermenter ain't that big (2.5 gal)?

Thanks
Monty

Attachments

• MBEquip.jpg
    MBEquip.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 520
monsteroyd said:
One question: Why when I make a recipe does it continually set the measured batch size to 5.0 gal, when it should know based on the profile, that my fermenter ain't that big (2.5 gal)?
You might need to go up top, under Tools, then Options (bottom choice), and make sure that your new equipment profile is selected (4th item down) as the default.  Once it is, when you start a new recipe it should automatically populate the recipe info with your equipment profile and default fermenter size, boil length, etc.

Back