• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Munton's Yeast in an IPA?

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm making a simple extract IPA with 7lbs light DME, 1lb caramel 20L, and all-centennial schedule (1oz:60min, 1oz:20min, 2oz:5min, 1oz:dry hop).  Safale-05 has been recommended to me for yeast, but I'm wondering if it would be okay use the packet of Munton's standard dry yeast I have. 

I understand that Munton's will ferment much more quickly, but what exactly would be different?  What kind of flavors would that impart?  And would it change the alcohol content?

I use Safale-05 for all my ales unless I'm doing something different like a wheat. Even then I usually regret it.

It ferments out clean and fast, then drops right out into a compact yeast cake.  Some yeasts leave their undeniable flavor print on the brew, like a wheat yeast for example. This one imparts as little flavor as any I've used. Some yeasts leave more residual sweetness behind. This one ferments out as dry as any I've seen.  Some take their time dropping out. This one clears right up. Some drop into a muddy yeast cake that takes barely any movement to stir up. This one is more like clay.

I like.

Sounds more like you are describing an American IPA, all American ingredients.  I'd use the US-05, very clean yeast.

Yes, I did forget to mention I am making an American IPA (so close to Kalamazoo, Michigan, I don't really drink many other IPA styles). I guess it's worth the hour drive to brew supply store for some safale-05, then, huh? Thanks for the advice! 

Back