• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting Grain Absorption Rate

Bear Hill North

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So, I've been a BeerSmith user for probably about two years now.

I do overnight mashes and have largely used the BIAB Mash Profile for this.  There's no sparge; just mash in with the full volume of water and let it sit for six to eight hours, drain the tun and away we go.

The problem I am having is that routinely I have found that Beersmith's grain absorption calculations put at least a gallon more than what I need.  When I calculate by hand I calculate about .12% and this is usually spot-on for my setup and process.

To a great degree this makes one of the core reasons as to why I like BeerSmith somewhat moot.

Is there a way to change that number?

I measured the mash volume before grain addition and after to get a net grain absorption of water.  You want to make sure this number is stable over a couple of batches.  Convert to fluid oz/oz of grain.  Enter this number in the grain absorption value which can be found under 'options' > 'advanced'.  Be careful with the adjustment of these numbers until you are pretty sure that you are consistent with the absorption rate, as this is a global reference and will affect all recipes.

Thanks!

The number is stable.  Prior to using Beersmith I did all my calculations by hand and had to learn what "that number" is by trial and error and it's the result of probably over 50 batches. 

Since I never do BIAB using it for "Overnight Mash" can be appropriated without too much of an issue.  I'm just happy to have something that works with the math that I know is right for my setup.

That was the one glaring thing about BeerSmith that I could never quite nail down.  Thanks for your help!

Back