• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

About the water profile tool

thedragonlord

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, with the next brewing session I will start to treat my water, I've bought a small reverse osmosis device and all the salts needed to reach the different targets (CaSO4, NaCl, MgSO4, CaCl, NaHCO3, CaCO3 as suggested). I've got a question: I've found almost all the salts in the dihydrate version, so how can I adjust the totals of the different salts suggested adding the "weight" of 2H2O? Is it enough to add 36 gr to the total suggested?
The total weight for the dihydrate salt is the wieght of the pure salt itself + 2 x (weight of H (1) + 2x weight of O (8))=36. So I think that if i, for example, need 2 gr of CaCO3 I should use 2 + 36 gr of CaCO3 * 2H2O, is it correct?

Andrea

I think you're confusing mole weight with ion contributions. The water quantity is there to prevent the salts from setting like bricks and can either be dihydrate, as you observed, or as hexahydrate (6 H20).

Start with just a straight weight addition and see where the pH and flavor land. You should be fine.

BTW, the new water book suggests little to no CaCO3 additions due to its ability to amplify the reduction of calcium as it precipitates. I found that to be a very interesting observation.

Back