• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Care and Maintenance of Poppets

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I don't really do anything special with my Cornelius keg poppets other than soaking them in StarSan before kegging. I just ordered a new set (after two years) and I'm curious to know if you guys do any additional maintenance on these things so you can expect to extend their life and utility. I've recently experienced some leaking (both in and out) at the poppet. Which is another reason why I never leave the gas on my kegs.

I think you would have to do a lot of connecting and disconnecting of the QDs to burn out the poppets. Of course, if the kegs are reclaimed soda kegs, who knows how much use they might have gotten.

I'd check the O-rings first--there is one between the dip tube flare and the threaded stud on the keg, and another on the post--as those can dry out and crack. Check that the posts are tightened down firmly. I disassemble the posts after every keg (you can pop the poppet out the back end) and soak in hot PBW for a bit, as beer crud can build up and prevent a seal.

A good test to find a leak is to pressurize a keg and then squirt StarSan on the posts; it'll bubble wherever there might be a leak.

Back