• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using the Water Profile Tool

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I want to begin using the Water Profile Tool and will have some questions that members may have answers.

I will be using RO water in making an American Amber Ale.  I need to choose a Target Profile that will fit an Amber American Ale. 

When I examine the list of offered Target Profiles, how does one choose the profile to begin work with?  Is it I just make the best guess I can, or, is there a more direct way of making that choice?

Then, after clicking the Calculate Best Additions button the additions and grams of that addition I am to make to my base water will fill in.  And my Base Water will now look very similar to my Target Water

Beersmith is a great tool, but for water adjustments I use Bru'n Water. It's free at    https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Martin Brungard is a water chemist and spreadsheet wizard. His system has more moving parts than BeerSmith and it takes a little reading to understand it. It's worth the effort.

He has plenty of city water profiles (both native and boiled profiles) as well as color/malt/bitterness profiles.

durrettd said:
Beersmith is a great tool, but for water adjustments I use Bru'n Water. It's free at    https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Martin Brungard is a water chemist and spreadsheet wizard. His system has more moving parts than BeerSmith and it takes a little reading to understand it. It's worth the effort.

He has plenty of city water profiles (both native and boiled profiles) as well as color/malt/bitterness profiles.

I have looked at Bruin Water and see its quality.  My needs are rather simple and I would like to keep everything in one software package.  Thanks for the suggestion.

durrettd said:

+1
Brunwater is the best water profile tool right now. Most of the time you use different tools or software for different things.

Rep said:
I will be using RO water in making an American Amber Ale.  I need to choose a Target Profile that will fit an Amber American Ale. 

When I examine the list of offered Target Profiles, how does one choose the profile to begin work with?  Is it I just make the best guess I can, or, is there a more direct way of making that choice?

I divide water adjustments in two.  My water is low in everything.  First, I add calcium and a touch of magnesium to all batches for yeast health and fermentation reasons.  That same calcium helps with hot and cold break and clarity also. 

Then I look at beer style and point the Chloride:Sulfate ratio to either Malty, Balanced or Bitter.  On all chemicals I aim roughly for the recommended minimums for brewing per Palmer's worksheet, rather than, for example, really spiking sulfates to drive bitterness.  My fear there is making five gallons of minerally-tasting beer. 

I largely ignore historical water profiles since reading that way back in the day, we really don't know what they did to the native water before brew-day, nor do we know the exact source of every day's water needs.  They could have pulled from numerous wells and had different water profiles each season, etc.  I use those historical profiles merely as examples of water that might suit the style rather than rule of law. 

Back