• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bittering Units/Gravity unit ratio

barleypopmaker

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know it is a super easy thing to do yourself, but I like to have everything on on page if I can. I would like to see a Bittering Unity to Gravity Unit ratio box by the Estimated SG, OG, SRM, IBU area. That would be just one more little tool to help formulate a recipe and find a close balance you are looking for.

Thanks,
  I'm not entirely familiar with this measure.  Do you divide IBUs by the specific gravity?  In what units?  Original or final gravity?  Just wondering...

I probably would not add it to the direct recipe sheet since there is no space, but I could add it as a tag for report templates so you can view it or print it on custom reports if needed.

Cheers!
Brad

You can find it in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Its the IBU's divided by the original gravity points. So if you have a beer with an OG of 1.060 and a bitterness of 30 IBU, your BU/GU is 30/60 = 0.5. I use it all the time when I formulate a recipe.

Some will say that the final gravity also is a part of the perceived bitterness. And it is. There are therefore other formulas that incorporate the FG as well:

IBU /  (OGU - FGU) is one and
(0.8 * IBU) / (0.82 * OGU - 0.18 * FGU) is another

(OGU = original gravity units, FGU = final gravity units)

Back