• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steeped Grains and sparge volume

danimal

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I want to start following Gordon Strong's recommendations of steeping my dark grains and will be adding them directly into my boil kettle. I am NOT going to add them to the mash or add them to the sparge water. I am going to steep them in a separate pot and add them to the boil kettle after I have finished fly sparging. This means I will need to adjust my sparge volume lower to account for the addition of the steeped water. How would I go about this to ensure that my volumes are correct. Would I add this to my equipment profile as "Top Up Water for Kettle"? If that is the case what is the typical absorption rate of water to steeped grains.

I think you are on the right track.  I would reduce the water for the sparge and add that back in, as you indicated, as kettle top off.  Another approach would be to reduce the water to grain ratio in the mash slightly to compensate for the grain being steeped separately and then again, bring that back in as kettle top off.  Either way, you will need to figure on what to expect for SG from the mash, the sparge and from the steeping separately, though the final pre-boil value the program calculates should be a good target number.

Right now, I don't think BS2 has a good way to handle the separate steeping and addition.  Maybe this feature will be included in the next update due out soon.

Back