• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with Stout

jterry16

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I brewed what I was attempting to make a Peanut Butter Stout on the 3rd of November. Had a Snafu with the mastun...We forgot to put in the manifold and had to perform emergency surgery with 160 degree strike water sloshing around on our hands...not fun.

Anyways, other than screwing up my mash temps and ultimately the efficiency, the brew went well. It's been sitting in primary since that day and I've dryhopped the vanilla and peanut powder and cacao nibs. I took a gravity two days ago and it came in at 1.021 and tested it again today and it's still 1.021. Today, however, I tasted it, and its got a green apple flavor which suggests that it's not done conditioning...right?

Question is, should I be doing anything to help this beer along? Or should I just be more patient and keep taste testing it every so often?

Attachments

• Russian Imperial PB Stout Recipe V 1.7.bsmx
    25.8 KB · Views: 186
A 1.098 beer isn't going to be done in the same time as a 1.060 beer. I would wait for it to be 30 days old before racking. Then sit for another 30 days to mature.  I regularly make a DIPA that starts at about 1.080 and it's not ready to dry hop for 20 days.

Patience is usually rewarded.  I don't know how much it actually helps, but you might try gently rousing the yeast to get more contact time for the yeast to resolve the green apple and any residual diacetyl. 

Attenuation seems largely done, at 78%. 

Hate to be negative, bu the only time I've had green apple flavors (and no other flavors at all) after primary was due to an infection. BUT, I also did my due diligence and gave the darn stuff a month in secondary to see if it cleared out.  Only batch I've ever dumped.

Update: The same day I posted this thread, I had my friend come over and taste it to double check my concerns.  He tried it as well as did I again and it tasted great.  Turns out ( and this will be funny and embarrassing to admit) my palate was all FUBAR from having just eaten breakfast which consisted of a protein shake that morning giving it the tart green apple flavor. 

Funny and embarrassing yes, but I could care less because as of now I have a 5 gallon keg full of delicious peanut butter milk stout.  Can't wait to see what it tastes like carbonated and cold. 

Thanks for the input and advice all the same. 

Hey, good post. Things happen that's for sure. I'm just wonder where and how you formulated your recipe design. I'm wondering because I'm designing a milk stout myself, which I've never brewed. I like that you added oatmeal to you plans, maybe because I always add oatmeal to my stouts. It seems to add that velvety mouth feel you should expect from a stout.

LATEST UPDATE:

So this beer has been in a keg for a bit over a week now and I have to try and keep myself from drinking it.  It's honestly the most amazing beer.  I'm typically super critical of my own beers, but this one I would put into a competition in a heartbeat without fear of being laughed out of the room.  Problem is, because I had so many snafu's with the brewing process, I don't know if i'll be able to reliably recreate it!

Oh well, it won't stop me from trying!

Back