• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Milwaukee MA871 refractometer

I have one of these, too. We use to verify first runnings, last runnings and post boil gravity.

I'm curious, though do you cool your wort sample before taking a reading? I find that it reads low until the sample is about 80F or cooler.

Yes I pull a sample and cool it.  I never tested above 80F so I cant say. 

Just a quick question. I looked on their web site and could not find a price or how to order.

I would be interested in getting one of these, what have you guys calculated for the wort correction factor? Do you find it's accurate most of the time (after correction)?

I calibrated mine with distilled when I got it and then did the calibrate refractometer function under Beersmith's refractometer tool tab.  You basically divide your wort refractometer reading by your wort hydrometer reading to get this result.  Mine is .95697.  I rechecked my distilled water calibration last night and it had drifted .3 Brix / .001 gravity in a year of heavy use. I really havent checked it much as it always gave me what the recipe predicted when there werent other issues.  I think I may have crosschecked it with a hydrometer twice and it was bang on. I am going to check it at various temps this weekend.

I'm curious, though do you cool your wort sample before taking a reading? I find that it reads low until the sample is about 80F or cooler.

I guess I misread this.  When you said 'reads low' I took it that you got a lower Brix reading than you expected.  I tried my unit at higher temps and  my display read "LO" too until the sample dropped below 80.  Seems strange.  The manual says its ATC up to 104F.  I guess not.  I will just continue to cool my samples, only takes a minute with the few ml needed.  I looked in the manual and it says if there is a 'big' difference between the instrument and sample temps then you should give it a minute to come into equilibrium.  Still gonna send them an email.

Back