• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't change "Infusion Temp" field for custom Mash Step

B-Unit

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to create a custom mash profile that would be halfway between...
"Single infusion, light body, batch sparge" and
"Single infusion, medium body, batch sparge"

Unfortunately, when you get to the "add mash step" window, the "infusion temp" field auto generates a number (in my case "170.1*F") and you can't change the data field. I know it's incorrect since "Light body" is 159.1*F and "Medium body" is 163.7*F... by my reasoning it should be about 161*F and I'd just manually change it to that but it won't let me.

Any hints?

So, you're adding a mash step to one of the profiles already there? If so, that temperature is probably right because you have to raise the temperature of the full mash--the grain that was originally there plus the water added at strike.

If what you're trying to do is a create a different mash profile altogether, just with a different mash temperature, duplicate one of the existing profiles and modify it to hit the desired mash temp. Unless you specifically want an additional mash step, this would be the easiest way to accomplish what you're after.

If you are trying to adjust the water temperature to get to a target mashing temperature, you need to edit your mash step.  In the mash profile, click once on the mash step where you are looking to adjust the temperature and then click on 'edit step' in the options below the mash step box.  This will bring up a screen with the target values for that step.  You can adjust the 'step temperature'.  The program will then adjust the infusion temperature to reach that target, given the equipment profile, weight and specific gravity listed in your equipment profile.

Thank you for such prompt replies.
cmbrougham said:
So, you're adding a mash step to one of the profiles already there?
No, I want to create a new profile, one that would be halfway between the existing "light" and "medium" batch sparge profiles. They're 4* apart and about 15 minutes different. I'd like to create one 2* above "light", 2* below "medium" and 68 minutes long (halfway between the 60 min for "medium" and 75 for "light"

cmbrougham said:
If what you're trying to do is a create a different mash profile altogether, just with a different mash temperature, duplicate one of the existing profiles and modify it to hit the desired mash temp. Unless you specifically want an additional mash step, this would be the easiest way to accomplish what you're after.

That's pretty much what I'm doing but it won't let me change the "infusion temp" data field from "170.1*F" to "161*F" even if try the "edit step" button or by double clicking the (only) step. The cursor will pop up in that data field but the numbers won't change.

"Infusion Temperature" is automatically calculated based on a number of factors, most importantly of which is "Step Temperature," which is your desired resting temperature. Change "Step Temperature," and not "Infusion Temperature," which would be the temperature of the water you use at strike. Other factors like your grain/MT temperature and water/grain ratio can influence that.

Your mash profile should look something like the attached image.

Attachments

• mash-profile.PNG
    mash-profile.PNG
    71.1 KB · Views: 529
My screen looks exactly like that with every number exactly the same except that "mash ph" says "5.2" (probably not important) and that the "mash step" says "add 12.50 qt of water at 170.1 F" to reach "step temp" of "150" for "68 min" (that's the important difference obviously)... it should say 161 like yours does.

I'd put up a screenshot but I don't know how to do that.
Thanks again for sticking with me.

If you double click that mash step or click the "edit step" button, the pop up window has a field for "infusion temp". Did you manually change yours to 161*F or did it calculate that? Mine keeps filling that field with 170.1 F and won't let me change it... there must be a factor I've got boogered some where that's throwing that calc off... the desired step temp is 150* and it lets me fill that field but it spits out 170.1 as the infusion temp (which is wrong). If I run the step temp field down to let's say "143*F" then it calculates the infusion temp to "161.3*F" so obviously the little calculator is running, it's just not running correctly (probably because I have some hidden input data factor screwed up someplace)...

Are you editing your mash profile from the Mash Profiles tab (so you're affecting the "master" profile), or are you doing this from a recipe?

B-Unit said:
I want to create a custom mash profile that would be halfway between...
"Single infusion, light body, batch sparge" and
"Single infusion, medium body, batch sparge"

Unfortunately, when you get to the "add mash step" window, the "infusion temp" field auto generates a number (in my case "170.1*F") and you can't change the data field. I know it's incorrect since "Light body" is 159.1*F and "Medium body" is 163.7*F... by my reasoning it should be about 161*F and I'd just manually change it to that but it won't let me.

Any hints?

I've duplicated this issue.

However, once added into a recipe, it seems to sort itself out according to the equipment profile selected. It *may* be utilizing whatever default equipment profile you have for establishing new mash profiles.

When default mash profiles are imported into a new recipe and the "Adjust for" boxes of equipment and dead space are checked, the mash steps calculate to sensible numbers.

And if nothing else, at least I learned how to take a screenshot on my desktop today, so I got that going for me.

brewfun said:
However, once added into a recipe, it seems to sort itself out according to the equipment profile selected. It *may* be utilizing whatever default equipment profile you have for establishing new mash profiles.

When default mash profiles are imported into a new recipe and the "Adjust for" boxes of equipment and dead space are checked, the mash steps calculate to sensible numbers.

Yep. That seems to do something. I just updated my Beersmith software, opened an existing one of my recipes, switched it to my new "med-light" mash profile and it corrects to 161.4*F if I uncheck the "Adjust temp for equipment" button on the recipe page, and reverts to 170.1*F if I check that box.

That must be the problem. I appreciate the help.

Back