• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Differences in mash profiles between beers

WM7793

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all, I would really appreciate the more informed members to advise me on Beersmith 2.

I have upgraded to the newest version and I cannot understand why there is a discrepancy between mash profiles between the beers I have made (I am still playing around with Beersmith setting it up correctly etc)

I have uploaded some screenshots to illustrate.

Basically, with the Timothy Taylor recipe it now shows (after tinkering) that it needs batch sparging with 6 steps !!!!.

Previously I have only needed to do 2 at the most.

I must be doing something wrong here, I would really appreciate your input on this.

I am new to the software and probably messing about too much with it for my own good.

Best regards,
WM7793

Attachments

• mash profile.png
    mash profile.png
    340.4 KB · Views: 419
  • mashprofile1.png
    mashprofile1.png
    335 KB · Views: 379
  • mashproflie3.png
    mashproflie3.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 373
You could try unchecking "use Equal batch sizes".

Thanks for your reply Grathan, I have tried unchecking the "equal batch size" but it now suggests that I do 10 batch sparges !!!!!!

What I am doing wrong here?, the previous version only gave me 2 batch sparges, which is what I expected.

Any further thoughts guys?

Best regards,
WM7793

Check your water absorption figures or your mash tun size in the equipment set-up.  With a mash tun size of 8.72 l, and an absorption of 2.5 l on 2.49 kg of grain, there is only enough room for about 3.7 l of water in the mash tun. 

Thanks for replying Oginme,

Where are the figures you quoted derived from?

For the likes of me I cannot see them in Beersmith. I am new to this software and I will post my equipment and mash profile settings for you to take a look at. I had thought I had it set up for a 33L coolbox, and I have set up the water absorbtion for 2.5L/Kg.

Sorry for sounding a bit obtuse here, but please advise!

Best regards,
WM7793

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-11-28 17:48:30.png
    Screenshot from 2013-11-28 17:48:30.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Screenshot from 2013-11-28 17:49:01.png
    Screenshot from 2013-11-28 17:49:01.png
    314.4 KB · Views: 350
Thanks, I see them now.

But where is figure derived from? as I have my mash tun volume set for 33L in the equipment profile as uploaded in my last post.

Best regards,
WM7793

You might need to reload the edited equipment profile into the older recipe.

ALso note to beersmith: You could possibly put a denotation in recipes that use a older version of an equipment profile that has since been edited.

Got it !!!

Thanks Grathan it looks like it has done the trick, it now asks for only 2 batch sparges, instead of 10!

You know though, reading through the forums whilst I had the software on trial, I had picked this tip up, ie (to reload your profile).

I am certain that I tried all I knew about the software prior to posting. Maybe just a funny, or I was getting my knickers in a twist !

Never the less, thank you Grathan for your help!

Best regards,
WM7793

Back