• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Guidance on AG Setup

jterry16

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok so here's the background:

Started brewing all grain about 2-3 months ago and have done a handful of batches. Started out in the kitchen with a cooler as my MLT and just recently did my first batch on my new brew sculpture three tier gravity system. I kept my cooler MLT in that setup, but saw a steal on a 15 gallon pot with welded thermo and valve so I bought it along with a false bottom thinking I could use it as a MLT instead of my cooler.

Now, here's the question(s):

1)How should I proceed with maintaining mash temperatures? Should I try to get a pump and recirculate? If so, can someone direct me to some reading material so I can research on how to do it?

2)Should I just get a reflectix insulation roll and get my mash to temp, kill the flame and wrap it?

3)Or should I just keep a very very light flame on my MLT to try and maintain temp and stir every few minutes and monitor the Kettle?

Any and all suggestions are welcome at this point. I'm fairly invested at this point, but would prefer not to spend a ton of more money, but at the end of the day, I want to do things right.

My concerns in direct flame are scorching and the tedium of watching the pot and manually trying to maintain temp.

My concerns of getting a reflectix is why did I bother getting a SS MLT and false to just try and convert it into a cooler!?

Thanks in advance in any and all input/advice.

EDIT: My three tier gravity sculpture uses propane burners.

If your not ready to invest the money to build a Herms or Rims system the a  temp control assembly. I would use your cooler for a MLT and your SS Kettle  for boiling.

See TheElectricBrewery.com for ideas and cost on how to build a Herms system.
I don't recommend Rims systems very easy to scaled the wort.

jterry16 said:
the tedium of watching the pot and manually trying to maintain temp.

First, The tedium of mash temperature and manually adjusting heat is an integral part of AG brewing. It is an art form that isn't easy to master, if we ever master it completely at all. Some brew days it can be like a street fight that you hope ends in a draw. Every AG brewer has experienced this, but the rewards of brewing keep us going.

Properly setup Herms or Rims work fine.

ihikeut said:
I would use your cooler for a MLT and your SS Kettle  for boiling.

Good advice!

Initially I recirculated with a March pump mash temp water plus 20 degrees F from my HLT through a SS 25' immersion coil in my mash cooler if I needed to boost temp. Tedious yes, but it worked.

Now I brew Rims with a Tower of Power controller on my mash tun giving me time to prep other segments of my brew day. (Not TEDIOUS)

AG ..... All Guts! ..... Enjoy brewing and enjoy beer!

Back