• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Software open into Brewlog

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
%95 of the time I open  beersmith it is to update or check brewing notes on a batch of beer in the brew log.

I have to scroll through the list of folders in My Recipes to find the Brew Log folder. This is getting cumbersome. Is there anyway to make the solftware default load into the brew log folder view? Or perhaps last shown view?

This is still bugging me...

The brew log shouldn't be a folder mixed in with the others. It should have it's own button on the menu bar?

Also it should auto sort by date.... Ideally My Recipes would sort alphabetically, but when you do this it also affects the brew log ordering which I prefer to show by date.
So if not given its own menu bar treatment, perhaps each folder could store its own sorting preference. thanks and merry christmas.

I'm with grathan.

I was just trying the brew log functions and I think the brew log should be "separate" function and should be separated from the recipes. Maybe in the recipes panel add another built-in folder "Brew Logs" (along side with the "My Recipes"). When someone want to brew the recipe, one will need to press "Copy to Log" (I would rename this button to something better like "Brew") and recipe would be copied/transformed to the brew log.

Maybe it would be fine to allow adding the measured items such as pre-boil SG, brew session SG, pre-boil volumes, etc *only* in the brew log items. In the recipes these items would be zero out or better wouldn't be visible at all (or set as read-only and of course zeroed out). I think that when creating the recipe I can't really know what efficiencies and volumes I would get so I think that these item shouldn't be even visible when creating items. All others software I have used have the brew logs/sessions as the separate function from the recipe design.

Grathan, maybe you could use some workaround for this "lengthy" list in "My Recipes". In the "My Recipes" folder I've created the "Recipes" and "Brew Logs" subfolders. Then move all recipes in the "Recipes" folder (you can have another sub-folders there) and all brew logs to "Brew Logs".

Edit: Looks like that there are more topics for the practically the same suggestion; See also http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6565.0.html, http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,9792.0.html, http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,11127.0.html

You can make the software only open the Brew Log in "Options".

RickS said:
You can make the software only open the Brew Log in "Options".
From what I understand, this options is only used for calendar, so only brew-log items are shown in it.

But my post was about better distinction between recipes and brew logs/sessions.

Dodes said:
From what I understand, this options is only used for calendar, so only brew-log items are shown in it.

But my post was about better distinction between recipes and brew logs/sessions.

You are probably correct I was not paying attention to the line above where you change it. But grathams post was about finding the brew log.

I fixed this somehow. I think I had to move all my recipes, but now when Beersmith opens it only shows 2 folders: Recipes and Brewlog.

So you've moved the recipes in to the "Recipes" folder? And they aren't there? Because all recipes should now be in "Recipes" folder.

You can rename the brewlog folder. Or perhaps I just made a folder called Recipes in the main screen and moved all the loose recipes (and folders other than brew log) into that.

Back