• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How long do you age a big brew?

S

skiprbridge

I recently brewed my first BIG brew 1.078 O.G.-F.G. 1.010 aged it for 8 weeks and keg it. It still tastes a bit green to me. "Is their a way to tell how long to age a brew based on gravity?" I have done a lot of reading and can find no answer to this question. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I think each beer is different. 

I have BW that are 3, 2 and almost 1 year old.

1.078 could age for quite a while, but let the beer tell you when it is ready.  Remember it is a living thing!

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.  What is the style?

Don

it's an english amber, Partial mash, I also added 3 pounds of honey

It could take 5 or 6 months.  The longest I can recall from my brews was about a year - which is not atypical for a barley wine.  Honey and fruit beers also often can take a long time.

Cheers!
Brad

I agree with them, it depends.  I've got a Trippel bottled.  I had it on a secondary fermentor for well over a month and in the bottles for weeks.  I think from my samplings that it won't truly be "on" for another 2 or 3 months.

Back