• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I turn off Fly Sparge in BeerSmith ?

WileECoyote

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello, How do i get rid of, or turn off the Fly Sparge on my BeerSmith, Im having to hand change my water volumes to make up for what the Fly sparge is auto using.

Thanks
WileECoyote

In either the Design or Mash tab, you can click the red check mark box next to the mash profile name.

Scroll down and you'll see check boxes for various BIAB and Batch Sparge options.

Sparge water is a calculated result based on what you have in your equipment profile, grain absorption and initial mash thickness.

There's more than one possible place to address, "having to hand change my water volumes to make up for what the Fly sparge is auto using." Can you elaborate?

Yes, Since the Fly Sparge is on, it is using lets say 4 gal of water, so I am going in and adding water volumes to my mash-in and mash-out volumes and it is taking away from the Fly Sparge volume, over a few batches (5 and 10 gal ones) I have figured out how to tweak the volumes to get the results Im looking for.

I know its kinda a bassakwards way of using BeerSmith for brewing, but I could not figure out how to get rid of the Fly Sparge, Ill try to figure out how to shut it off using your suggestions and report back with my results.

Thanks
WileECoyote  :)

brewfun said:
In either the Design or Mash tab, you can click the red check mark box next to the mash profile name.

Scroll down and you'll see check boxes for various BIAB and Batch Sparge options.

Sparge water is a calculated result based on what you have in your equipment profile, grain absorption and initial mash thickness.

There's more than one possible place to address, "having to hand change my water volumes to make up for what the Fly sparge is auto using." Can you elaborate?

Hello, Thanks ! It worked on the 1 recipe I tried it on, now my question is, is their a quick way to apply that to all my recipes ? and is their a way to make it a default setting so I don't have to change these settings every time I make a new recipe ? or by changing these settings did it make them my default now?

I would really like to remove Fly Sparge from every type of mash in the BeerSmith mash profiles, is there some master setting for us that don't fly sparge? if not maybe Brad could add a box that you can check on the opening page of BeerSmith like a I ether fly sparge or not option would be great for those of us that don't fly sparge.

Thanks
WileECoyote  :)

WileECoyote said:
It worked on the 1 recipe I tried it on, now my question is, is their a quick way to apply that to all my recipes ? and is their a way to make it a default setting so I don't have to change these settings every time I make a new recipe ? or by changing these settings did it make them my default now?

If you have the latest update, you can save it to your profiles by clicking the disc icon next to the one I told you to use, last time. That'll save it as you name it, or as a modified copy, by the same name. Just delete the old copy that you don't need.

To make a default starting recipe, start at the home tab, click "Add Recipe."

Make all the modifications you want to it. Equipment profile, mash schedule, fermentation and carbonation. I even add some base malt and a basic bittering hop, along with finings, nutrient and water to my baseline recipe. It saves the tedium of adding all those basics.

Once you're set, in the home tab, click "Set as Default." Confirm.  Now, each time you click "Add Recipe" this will be your opening template.

WileECoyote said:
I would really like to remove Fly Sparge from every type of mash in the BeerSmith mash profiles, is there some master setting for us that don't fly sparge?

No global option. All of the most popular infusion mash profiles have variations labeled "Batch Sparge," "No Mashout," and such. If you see one you want to modify, it's super simple to just click and copy a mash profile, click a couple of boxes and BOOM! It's all you.

Back