• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Clarifies with Extract Brewing

Ellismr

Apprentice
Reaction score
I read in J. Palmers book that he doesn't recommend using Irish moss or Whirfloc in extract brews.  He doesn't say why though.  Does anyone know why?

I'm not sure that the earlier "online" addition explains it.  It is explained in the most recent paper edition though in Appendix C.

He explains that too much Irish Moss is used in the boil of extract/adjunct beers, the smaller proteins responsible for head retention can be affected and could reduce the free amino nitrogen (FAN) that the yeast need for nutrition.

My take on it is that if you're doing an extract brew, then cut back on the amount of irish moss that you use, or eliminate the irish moss and try instead to strain the break material out through a metal strainer when transferring from brew kettle to fermentor.

Thank you for the advice.  I strained the hot break material using the suggested strainer and then used PVPP in secondary, then cold crashed the beer 3 days and it came out crystal clear.

Back