Author Topic: Cream Stout  (Read 3200 times)

Offline biergarden

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Going Pro. Look for Baleen Brewing in Ketchikan AK
Cream Stout
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
I just finished formulating this design and wanted to open it up to some peer review. I'm adding two pounds of lactose to the boil for this ten gallon batch and will change the hop schedule for the second runnings choosing one of the noble hops instead of the ones listed in this recipe. I'll collect about 12.5 gallons for the boil of the primary brew and stop the runnings at 1.010 for the session brew.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/318699/cream-stout

Offline RobbyComstock

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Brewing Beer since 2011
    • Comstock Brewing
Re: Cream Stout
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
I have wanted to make a milk stout but have not got around to it yet.  Interested to hear how this comes out when you make it.
Robby Comstock
@comstockbrewing

Offline biergarden

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Going Pro. Look for Baleen Brewing in Ketchikan AK
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
Sure will. I contemplated adding a couple of vanilla beans to the secondary post vodka infusion, but that might be too much, although come to think of it, it might be a suitable idea for the second runnings.

Offline Roadrocket

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »
That looks good and the Chinook hops should work well. I would only use about half that amount of lactose. A cream stout shouldn't be sweet. The lactose, which is not fermentable should add a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. I think one pound should be enough unless you like it sweet.

I don't think you will get an ABV of anywhere near 8.8% because I don't think BeerSmith calculates lactose correctly. Adding lactose should affect both the OG and FG because it's a sugar. However, it should not affect the ABV because it's will not ferment into alcohol.  I think your ABV will be about 7.1%
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.