• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cream Stout

biergarden

Brewer
Reaction score
I just finished formulating this design and wanted to open it up to some peer review. I'm adding two pounds of lactose to the boil for this ten gallon batch and will change the hop schedule for the second runnings choosing one of the noble hops instead of the ones listed in this recipe. I'll collect about 12.5 gallons for the boil of the primary brew and stop the runnings at 1.010 for the session brew.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/318699/cream-stout

Sure will. I contemplated adding a couple of vanilla beans to the secondary post vodka infusion, but that might be too much, although come to think of it, it might be a suitable idea for the second runnings.

That looks good and the Chinook hops should work well. I would only use about half that amount of lactose. A cream stout shouldn't be sweet. The lactose, which is not fermentable should add a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. I think one pound should be enough unless you like it sweet.

I don't think you will get an ABV of anywhere near 8.8% because I don't think BeerSmith calculates lactose correctly. Adding lactose should affect both the OG and FG because it's a sugar. However, it should not affect the ABV because it's will not ferment into alcohol.  I think your ABV will be about 7.1%

Back