• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Liquid extract volume included in boil volume calculation?

Nesto

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm using BeerSmith 2 with my Braumeister 20 liter system. In following the calculations of volumes, it looks like BeerSmith doesn't account for the volume added by liquid malt extract. I just did a brew with a little more than 2kg (5lbs) of liquid malt extract added. I think this should add about 1.7 liters of volume to the boil, but it doesn't look like BeerSmith added it in. Is this something I need to do manually? I know BeerSmith accounts for LME when calculating hop utilization, so I don't want to screw that up, so where is the best screen/place to add it?

I don't think it does account for the extra volume when doing an extract brew.  What I've done in the past is subtract the amount of LME I'm adding from the boil volume in my equipment profile to figure out how much water to add to my brew kettle.  (If I remember 6 lbs of LME = approx. 0.5 gallons)

If there is an easier way to have the pre-boil volume take into account the addition of LME, it would be nice to know.

-Dan

Yup, that's the same volume factor I use as well. Didn't really think about it until I missed my volume target by almost 2 liters :). Will have to remember to account for that.

This sounds like it should be a calculation. Until it is, what about accounting for it as kettle top up "water" in the equipment profile? Simply copy an all grain profile, rename it with "extract added" and then put a half gallon into the Top Up Water field (pre or post boil).

The 6# = 0.5 gallons makes total sense, too. Most liquid extracts are about 80 brix or 80% solids. If you deduct the 20% water weight, you have 4.8# solids. That's the weight of 0.57 gallons. A little over a cup different than a half gallon.

A similar conversion can be applied to honey, which is typically 60 to 70 brix.

Back