• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Profile Question

Pompeysie

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I have just completed a brew (Milk Stout) with a single stage fermentation. I am a little confused about what I see in the Beersmith fermentation tab.

After 30 days in the primary I have an SG of 1.016. Below this number, Beersmith shows a greyed out "Gravity after secondary" number of 1.011 (greyed out obviously because I have chosen a single stage). However, the estimated Final SG, according to Beersmith, is 1.010 "at Bottling". Clearly I am currently way off this.

Will the SG reduce further in the bottles (I'm using carbonation tablets) or should I have left if longer in the Primary? According to the profile it should only age for 7 days in the bottles!
Where is Beersmith getting the estimated final SG measurement from?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Simon

Where did the recipe originate?  I'm thinking the most likely explanation is that this recipe was copied from one that had a value in that field, but then the field was grayed out after the fermentation profile was changed from two-stage to single-stage. 

The ingredient profile for lactose might be overly generous in the assumed degree of fermentability.  Lactose is largely unfermentable.  I'd be shocked to see any beer with a meaningful amount of lactose ferment down to 1.010.   

Recipe was from here:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/10856/milk-ostout

Looking at it again, it was mean't to be 6.1% ABV! I'm miles off that.

I never noticed that the ABV value had changed once I had imported it into Beersmith before I brewed. I followed the recipe as per the one sepcified though!

S

Is this a lager or ale. Ales should be fermented by now lagers may take a little longer.

Check the gravity a couple days apart and see if stays at 1.016, if it stays the same, your beer is done fermenting.

There are many reasons why you may not get to 1.011 . The most common would be higher mash temps for full body beer. 

It's a Milk Stout. Re. higher mash temps, do you mean it needed a higher mash temp?

Simon

I sure other people on the forum can explain it in more detail, and there a lot of good treads on beer gravity. In a nut shell higher mash temperature produces more sugars and starches that yeast cannot ferment. This causes higher final gravity readings and a full body beer. Common problems would be thermometer out of calibration, hitting the strike water temperature high, low temperature sparge water.

Back