• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Crystal Clear...

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Once I started kegging I was amazed at how clear the beer could become...I used to store my bottled beer in the garage and put it in the fridge before serving.

Now all my beer goes into kegs and shortly later into the fridge where it cold ages.  After a month or so it is amazing how the lagering really clears out the tannins and other junk in the keg...and it usually gets better as it ages.

I've also noticed that Polyclar really helps it to clear faster.

Anyone else experience this?

Brad

The clearness, yes...I've never tried polyclar.  I've always used Irish moss and had hit-and-miss luck with it being clear coming out of the bottle, but kegging comes out beautifully.  I have yet to figure out why you don't get the same chill haze out of a keg since that's supposed to some from proteins in the beer and I don't think they settle, do they?  

I also found "speed chilling" a bottle in the freezer would pour clear for some reason, but the same beer left in the fridge for a few hours would cloud up.  Weird.

Back