• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil off setting on mobile version for 90 minute boil

Mr2beers

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm trying to tweak my profile settings in Beersmith 2 mobile (iPad) and I'm slightly confused about the boil-off tool.
I did a test run with my brew kettle and determined that I lose ~1.34 gallons boil off per hour.
I want to create an equipment profile for a 90 minute boil.

So accordingly I entered the following into beersmith equipment settings:
Boil Time: 90 min
Boil off: 1.34 gal
(x) Use boil off as hourly rate

So my question is this: Am I supposed to enter the amount of boil-off that I expect to lose in 90 minutes (since this is a 90 minute boil) ... or do I enter 1.34, which is the amount that I will expect to lose in 60 minutes?  (I want Beersmith to calculate my boil off as an hourly rate, but for a 90 minute boil).

Thanks!

You're correctly applying the calculation.

When calculated as an hourly rate, BeerSmith uses the total minutes boiled to factor the total boil off.

Great.  I had a feeling that was how it works, but I wasn't sure. Now I've pretty much got my equipment profile dialed in.  Looking forward to testing on the Tripel I plan to brew next.

Thank you!

Back