• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Accommodating for extract volume

tdev

Apprentice
Reaction score
One of the areas where i consistently misjudge is in the adjustment in the boil water for each pound of LME i will be using in a recipe. Outside of manually calculating the delta when brewing (apparently the norm is about 10 fluid ounce/lbs of LME???), does the application automatically make this revision or can i configure the system to do revise the amount of water needed in the boil?such?

No matter what the ingredient, there will be some contribution to volume. From what I can see, BeerSmith does not make any corrections for this so you'd just have to manually subtract the difference.

There are a few places within the program where you can compensate for volume, play around with some of the variables such as Trub Loss and Batch Size and watch carefully what each does - you'll come up with a fix that suits your needs.

Remember, the software is only a tool - it isn't expected to be perfect for every situation. If it doesn't do exactly what you want it to do, there are always work-arounds.

Thank you much and what i thought might be the solution -

Back