• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bavarian Weissbier Mash and Boil times

texasdan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Going to do my first AG Bavarian Weissbier tomorrow and am having trouble deciding on an optimum mash time and boil time.
The recipe I found on the Northern Brewer Website (The Great Bavarian Weissbier Project of 2007/2008) calls for:
  rest 111 F for 20 min
  rest 150 F for 60 min  *
  mashout 170 F for 10 min
  boil                        60 min
Looking at recipes on German Websites for most Hefeweizens recommends:
  rest anywhere from 95-110 F for 20-25 min
  rest anywhere from 149-150 F for 90 min  *
  mashout 168 F
  boil                        90 min

Since there is a 30 min difference on the mash and boil times to the German recipes, I'm having a hard time deciding if I should increase both to 90 minutes...  Would that cause a pronounced difference in the result...

The longer mash time will ensure that you have full conversion of the starches into sugars.  The reason for the longer mash rest is due to the lower mash temperature, which slows down the conversion process.  This is a common suggestion in Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer.

In the same book, they recommend a longer boil for many recipes of this type, to reduce the amount of DMS in the beer.

I hope you found this useful.

Thank you... I did.  I will increase both to 90 minutes...
Since I'm increasing the boil from 60 to 90 it would probably be prudent to reduce the bittering hops by about 10%.
So far I have only done Weissbiers using extracts.

You don't need to adjust the bittering hops.  Just boil for 30 minutes before putting your 60 minute hop addition in.

Ok,, will do..
Thanks to you and other more experienced brewers it's incredible how much I've learned from this forum over the past year and how my beers have improved.
My lagers are now at least starting to get thumbs up from my very critical German friends.. 

I followed the guidance in the edited first post of "The Great Bavarian Weissbier Project of 2007/2008" and produced (what I thought) was an excellent beer: a good solid clove note, minimal banana, good malt flavor. Mashed at 111 and 148. Fermented at 62. Used Fermentis WB-06.

I'm also doing the same recipe (but 3 Gal) w/rests @ 111 and 149, just increased the mash/boil time to 90 minutes and am using White Labs WLP300.  I've had really good success with it.  My estimated pre-boil OG was right on the money @ 1.042 but post boil was 1.060 versus 1.050 and about 2 qt low into the fermenter.  Guess my boil was a little too strong.  Added 2 Qt water which probably brought my OG somewhat back in line.

Bubbling away as I post so hopefully this will turn out a great Hefeweizen also..

If you have any doubts about your mash time being long enough for a complete conversion, I'd suggest doing an iodine test.  That way you know for sure.

Recipe Update :
Thoroughly pleased with the result of this recipe. 
The .5 oz of Carafa II added some nice coloring to the 3 gal. batch.  Also added 2 oz. Carawheat.
I could see doing this recipe again.  Pour photo attached.

Attachments

• Hefeweisse Project 2007-08 Recipe.jpg
    Hefeweisse Project 2007-08 Recipe.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 539
Back