• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

duh

• Thread starter tunelesshilltop
  • Start date
T

tunelesshilltop

:-\
I've just finished my second brew, a Porter which I spent all day planning out, making sure I had all of my ducks in a row.  now, 1 in the AM, I woke myself up from my smug slumber realizing I forgot not one but TWO ingredients.  a LB. of corn sugar and some ginger root, BOTH of which I went out of my way today to get.  I've already pitched the yeast, and while I'm willing to part with the ginger, I'm concerned about the absent corn sugar.  Is there a way to add forgotten ingredients to wort that has already had yeast pitched into it?  Will this stuff survive without it? 
thanks.
embarassed.
space cadet. (i guess I can't have people over while I brew!  yeesh)

I would assume that the brew is not yet actively fermenting after this short time, if you really think the corn sugar is essential then dissolve it in a little boiling water allow to cool and pitch into the fermentor gently. If it is a big beer then not adding the corn sugar won't be a problem as it's loss won't affect the flavour just the Alc%.

The choice is yours.

cheers
Andrew

thank you.  it's funny, I jumped into homebrewing with a really mellow attitude.  Now I just constantly chew on every little aspect, wondering which thing I could have done better.  isn't the slogan "relax.  Don't worry.  Have a homebrew."?  I need to make that my mantra.  and I need some homebrew, which I will have in a week or so. 
The porter already has a little brown sugar and molasses in it, in addition to the 5 + lbs of malt extract, so one would assume this thing has sugar aplenty, and it is indeed a HUGE beer, with its OG around 1060.  Still, I might go for it, as per your suggestion. 
again, thanks.

Unless you are trying to exactly replicate a beer or are brewing for a competition these little things will have little impact on your beer being a good beer.  So RDWHAHB!! 

A technique that is used on monsters, 1.130+ OG beers is to incrementally add sugars to feed the yeast and increase the abv%.  Whiile your 1.060 porter doesn't even come close the technique is still valid.  If you wantto boost the alcohol a bit go for it.  Now if you really want to brew a huge beer, 1.100+ OG, let me know and I'll he;p you along.

Fred

First off, if big beers are your think, listen to Bonjour.  I have many of his big beers and they are smooth with very little alcoholic taste or aroma.

If you still want a ginger flavor in your beer, add it to the secondary.  You will still get flavor from the ginger even if it is for a week.

Back