• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problems with Keg / Co2 tank

His Dudeness

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a Kegerator with an old CO2 tank from an ex homebrewer.
If I look at this website, it should give me around 50 kegs of 5 gallons since it looks that mine is a 15 or 20 pounds.
But my last batch of IPA didn't pour properly.  I have two kegs plugged, one almost empty on a stainless faucet, but still pouring really good even if the CO2 is set at off.  I'm using some Piknic tap on the other one (my IPA), and it's not pouring.
With this CO2 tank I've been able to carbonate two or three 5 gallons kegs.  So, normally it shouldn't be empty.
The old regulator (that has a brand new nylon washer) has always shown the gas near empty level, even if I just filled it up at a store.
I've checked all my tubing fittings with soap and water, and no leaks showed up. 
I'm using a three way manifold with 3/8" OD in/outlet with this 5/16" ID x 9/16" OD vinyl tube with some good clamps.
Could I have a leak in my old regulator or old co2 tank?

Another thing, my IPA was dry hopped with a muslin bag in the corny keg.  Could some hops be blocking the pour?
If I want to take out my muslin bag, should I open the keg even when I'm not sure if there's CO2 in it?
Could it oxidize the beer too much?

???

pull the pressure release
open the keg and use a set of sanatised tongs to pull the dry hops bag
replace the top and hit it with co2

you will be fine

Agreed.

If you want to be doubly sure about it, after you lid it up and repressurize...you can pull the pressure release and repressurize 5 times.  That will purge the keg of about 98% of any remaining oxygen that did get inside (not much). 

Back