• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est ABV waaay too high with extract

bends

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
Just starting out with beersmith and setting up a simple extract recipe before I step up to all grain. I'm using 3kg's of light dried malt extract with 21lt of water, which in previous brews produces a beer around 5%. However beersmith seems to think my ABV will be 25%!?! Must be doing something wrong, appreciate any help.
Thanks

Export and post your recipe as an attachment.  Then we can take a look and see what's messed up.  Its usually an equipment profile thing. 

thanks, it looks like my measured batch volume is the issue - currently states 5lt. recipe attached. do I just overtype it to an estimate and confirm after boil?

Attachments

• Pale Ale Extract.bsmx
    18.9 KB · Views: 175
Ah, yes that will do it. 

Yes, just delete the "5lt" from the field.  All of the "measured" or "actual" fields can be left blank in the recipe. 

Beersmith allows you to define a default recipe.  This is a very handy feature.  You can specify anything in the recipe (equipment profiles, mash profiles, fermentation, default ingredients, default values, etc).  Basically, all you need to do is create a new recipe and set it up how you want a new recipe to look: set any values you want, add your equipment as the default, etc.  Once you are happy with it, there is an option at the top of BS2 that says "set recipe as default".  Click that button.  From that point forward, every time you create a new recipe it will have all of these defaults that you have setup. 

The other thing I like do is that I "save" the default recipe with the name "defaults".  if I want to change the defaults, I can just open this recipe, edit it, and then click "set recipe as default", again. 

So, for the "measured" and "actual" parameters my "default recipe" has all of them <blank> or set to "0". 

Hi Tom, thanks for the advice. recipe set up and ready to go!

Back