• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast not activating?

h4brewing

Brewer
Reaction score
I put my dry yeast in heated water (90-100) and let it sit covered for 15 minutes.  When I go to proof with the sugar water it does not foam up.  Instead it looks like the yeast is not activating.  you can still see the granuals...? What should I do?

Are you sure about your water temperature?  How long did you wait?

I either sprinkle my dry yeast right on top of my aerated wort or I make a starter.  I've never "proofed" a yeast, so I'm not sure if it's even supposed to foam up. 

Have you done this in the past and had it foam up?

you can still see the granuals...? What should I do?

That means it's not dissolved. It takes a while for it to dissolve on its own. Stirring is a pain because it clumps up.

Have you done this in the past and had it foam up?

I have and it does.  But like I said above you've got to wait a while for the yeast to dissolve, or stir it in taking care to break up all the clumps.

It will dissolve into the cooled wort.  The directions on Safale and Saflager dry yeast say to just sprinkle it on top.  Doing that spreads it out over more surface area, allowing it to dissolve faster. When making bread I will put my warm water in a bowl and sprinkle my yeast over the top in a thin layer, that way it dissolves in quickly.  Unlike putting it onto water in a cup where it sits on top and takes a long time to dissolve.

Back