• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to Beer Smith II ABV coming up in negative #'s

Juddger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded BSII and in the transfer from BSI one of my recipes is now showing up as a negative % on my Actual ABV.  Any ideas why?

Most likely, your measured final gravity is larger than your measured post-boil gravity. Perhaps a number got transposed? Like 1.005 became 1.050?

I observed the same negative ABV calculations.  The issue I observed was that the measured FG entered on the design page was not the same as the measured FG (at bottling / kegging) in the Fermentation page.  I updated the design page after taking my FG reading, but missed the Fermentation page (which had 1.085 as the measured FG for some reason).  The absolute value of the calculation was correct, however it was negative.  See screenshot. 

--Paul

mldpaul said:
The absolute value of the calculation was correct, however it was negative. 

I think that the measured abv being close, but just negative, is a coincidence.

Somehow, your preboil gravity is more than your post boil. Yet, both volume measurements are identical. This wouldn't happen under normal brewing circumstances.

GIGO

Back