• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is banana smell from high temps strong?

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
I am making the Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale kit, and I pitched at 73 degrees with the Nottingham dry yeast it came with.  Fermentation got a slow start, but it was steadily chugging away after 12 hours.  I noticed my fermometer read 70 degrees for the first 12 or so hours of fermentation, then lowered to 66 by the next day.  I've heard that temperatures of 70+ can give off a banana flavor.  I can't tell if the smell from the airlock is banana or just generally sweet.

Would it be a strong banana flavor if the temperature was too high? And should the smell from the airlock be somewhat fruity for a malt-forward brown ale with English yeast?

Thanks in advance!

The only time I ever had banana flavors was when the fermentation got up to 75.  At 70 you should be fine.

I'm mostly used to using us-04 and us-05, which have given me a hoppy smell from the airlock, even when making malty brews.  Are English ale yeasts like Notty supposed to have a fruity aroma from the airlock?

Are English ale yeasts like Notty supposed to have a fruity aroma from the airlock?

I have no idea.  The lagers I've been making with Saflager S-23 smell terrible when fermenting.  But that's normal.  Similarly when I made a hefe with a wheat yeast it also smelled terrible, right down to the moment it went into a keg. But it tasted great.

At 70 you're not going to get a strong banana flavor. At 73 possibly.  At 75 probably. At 78 for sure. At 70? I wouldn't worry about it.

Nottingham is pretty clean for an ale yeast, but I usually keep it at 63/64F.  Its range is 57 to 70F, so you're probably fine. 

Back