• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Added Water Salts Aren't Available

ScudderAndSon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am unable to add a water agent in Add Salts in the Water Adjustment section of the Water tab. Specifically, Magnesium Chloride. I was able to add it to the Ingredient list, and my Inventory. When click on the Add Salts button it isn't listed. (See attached screen shot)

I have a similar issue with Calcium Carbonate (Chalk). With Chalk, I can adjust the amount if Beer Smith as added it via a chosen water profile, but I can't just add it myself for the same reasons a above.

I am using a MacBook Pro, up-to-date OS (13.5), and BeerSmith version 3.2.7

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.32.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.32.26 PM.png
    643.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm certain that you can't add salts (or other acids) to bs3, though Brad might chime in to confirm. My guess is that it is to do with the modelling and related dissociation effects of the salts on water concentrations. There'd be more to it than just adding the named salt in - info required such as how the salt dissociates and in what ratios, etc. Too complicated to be entered by most people at the front end and too easy for any mistakes to throw the whole thing out.

Then why would Chalk (Calcium Carbonate) be included in water profiles, but can't be added on my own? It would seem to me if the Chalk is in the profile then all the related actions it has on the water and recipe would be in the programing of that salt. The bug seems to be in the inability of a salt to be added. Plus, Magnesium Chloride isn't that unique. Maybe not as much an Epson Salt, Calcium Chloride, etc., but still in the normal options for adjusting water.

You need to make sure you have the default ingredients for V3 - some older BeerSmith 2 recipes don't have the proper ingredient names and it currently keys off ingredient names.

If you drop me an email at beersmith at beersmith.com I can send you the default misc file so you can import it to be sure.

Brad

Then why would Chalk (Calcium Carbonate) be included in water profiles, but can't be added on my own? It would seem to me if the Chalk is in the profile then all the related actions it has on the water and recipe would be in the programing of that salt. The bug seems to be in the inability of a salt to be added. Plus, Magnesium Chloride isn't that unique. Maybe not as much an Epson Salt, Calcium Chloride, etc., but still in the normal options for adjusting water.
But do you notice that you can add any miscellaneous item and call it a water agent? You cannot, however, enter in the various equivalents/concentrations of ions that are created by dissolving said water agent. For example, you can add a miscellaneous item called "chalk" and make it a water agent, but it doesn't tell the program/modelling what to do with it in calculations.

Similarly, you can add any old grain and call it a acid malt in the name, but it doesn't pull through to the water calculations. Nor the acids.

Brad - can you publish the most up to date misc addon? The last update I have is 2016

I don't seem to be able to successfully add several of the water agents to a recipe?
Beersmith v3.0.8 running on a PC - Updates tells me I have the latest version.

If from the Design tab > Add Misc I select Chalk from the drop down list (where a dozen or so Water Agents are listed), the recipe on the Design tab is populated, but it does not show on the water tab - and is not included in the Adjusted Water Profile.

If I go to the Water tab > Add Salts, I have only four Water Agents listed. These seem to work OK, but none of the others? (I do NOT have the "Show only items in Inventory" checked.)

Back