• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparging

I too have a low efficiency, however, I believe that I have got Beersmith calculating my mash and sparge correctly, I just need to play with temperatures to increase my eff.

I usually brew with about 10 lbs grain in a 28 qt rectangular cooler as my tun (braid from a sink hose attached to my through spigot).  My eff. is around 60-65%, but my final sparge is usually around 1.010.  I sparge with 190 degree water to give me a grain bed temp of 180 or so, after mashing at 160 degrees.  Again, I know I need to work with my temps to get a better eff, but Beersmith calculates all my temps correctly.

Any help with the temp side would be appreciated, but overall, it will simply take a few batches of working with the program and your brews to get it just right.

deerelk4x4 said:
My eff. is around 60-65%, but my final sparge is usually around 1.010.  I sparge with 190 degree water to give me a grain bed temp of 180 or so, after mashing at 160 degrees.  Again, I know I need to work with my temps to get a better eff, but Beersmith calculates all my temps correctly.

Any help with the temp side would be appreciated, but overall, it will simply take a few batches of working with the program and your brews to get it just right.
Dude -- those are awfully hot temps.  Try dropping them about 10 degrees and see if that helps. 

Back