• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.0 and mashing/dry hopping techniques

iipabrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm a several year user of beersmith 1.x and like many others are really looking forward to the new version.  I'm particularly hopeful that a few features will be in it:

1) Being able to import (BeerXML?) recipes into the iphone and at least be able to read them.  This is very helpful when going shopping for ingredients and presenting at homebrew club meetings.

2) I tend to do alot of advanced brewing techniques and beersmith could certainly be better in capturing what I'm doing:

- a dry hop schedule.  My IPA and IIPA have multiple dry hopping additions for different periods of time.  Right now I can't show this since everything just shows as dry hop addition.

- a special mash regiment.  For example, my CAP and Oatmeal stout recipes use a cereal mash.  Ideally I'd like the cereal mash to be able to list the temp rests (its a stepped mash like the main mash) but potentially using different rest time/lengths.  I'm sure this would present some UI challenges  :).

3) More ingredients.  I'm sure you hear this all the time with the new hop varieties that constantly are coming out.  It would also be nice to have more of the common items like Oregon Fruit Purees listed.

4) Finally, another amazing feature (ok, I might not get this one  ::)) would be if you included the brew system parameters for the major common brewing systems (more beer sculptures, brew magic).  It took a fair amount of tinkering over many batches to get mine in the ballpark of right (or at least causing repeatable results).

Sorry if some of these topics have been discussed recently.  I spend more time brewing then reading the various forum ...

Cheers and look forward to 2.0,
Paul

Back