• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith IBU's in recipes have changed?

raph.basan

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings.
i use Beersmith 2 in a commercial brewery to work out my IBU's and for recipe developement. I use the same recipes over and over with mainly only a few adjustments to hop amounts etc...i noticed that ALL my IBU's have changed, WITHOUT me making any adjustments. Older recipes that i have and have written the IBU's down on paper for have also changed, by around 2%.
have you guys made any changes? i did notice a few days ago that beersmith wanted to update itself? i left it to do its thing and never checked what it updated.....
Please advise.

Raph

I've not changed a thing.  We've published not recent updates.  Is it possible that somehow you changed your global hop settings under Options->Bitterness?  That's the only thing that would change your values across the board.

Brad

I found this thread and just joined to post up to say that I had the same thing happen when I upgraded too.  A recipe that I have been making the same for years that beersmith always calculated right around 60 ibu's, now came out at 35 ibu's.  So I went back to older versions to see what the heck I'm forgetting, but all of the old entries are also showing 35 ibu's.

It seems to be related to partial mash recipes and late additions of extract to the boil.  The couple all grain recipes that I have in beersmith seem to still have the same ibu's.

Jon

Back