• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith on Apple Mac OS

o.m. said:
Hi!

I´ve installed Wine, and also XQuartz, but I really don´t understand how to use these program to run Beersmith.exe on my Macbook (OS 10.5.7), is there anybody out there that can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Still need some help? email me at [email protected]. I have done this a few times both manually and using crossover (which is awesome).

kc9hej said:
o.m. said:
Hi!

I´ve installed Wine, and also XQuartz, but I really don´t understand how to use these program to run Beersmith.exe on my Macbook (OS 10.5.7), is there anybody out there that can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Still need some help? email me at [email protected]. I have done this a few times both manually and using crossover (which is awesome).

Thanks a lot, I just read your comment, and found out that Crossover was a program, and it worked. :)
Just using the trial now, but if it works, I will buy it.

Any news on a estimated release of a BeerSmith for OSX?

I am sure I have posted in other threads the same desire but I am another Beersmith user that went Mac and really miss it. I'll be in line to upgrade!

BeerSmith said:
For the Mac folks - you will be happy to hear that I have an early version of BeerSmith working on my Mac now.  Still lots of work to do before a formal release, but it is moving forward.

VR
Brad

Brad, 10 months on... any update?!?

o.m. said:
kc9hej said:
o.m. said:
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot, I just read your comment, and found out that Crossover was a program, and it worked. :)
Just using the trial now, but if it works, I will buy it.

Any news on a estimated release of a BeerSmith for OSX?

I bought this Crossover program but overall it didn't work for me. I could install and open Beersmith, I can not open the brew sheet or print anything.  :( Mine is on what ever the latest version of Snow Leopard. I'll just continue to wait for the Mac version.

Another Mac user here, tired of running BeerSmith in CrossOver (wine) ... any word on the new Mac version?

BTW, I can't print when running under CrossOver either, I just export my recipe for web using the standard selected format, then view recipe.htm which ends up in my Documents folder, then print via Safari, FF, Chrome, etc

just got beersmith a couple of weeks ago and love it !!! but my pc just blew up and now i have a mac  :( any word if its coming out soon???? javascript:void(0);

I've been a BeerSmith user for almost a year and have been watching this thread closely.  Brad, is this project dead?  I am really looking forward to a Mac OS version of your software.

No,
  In fact I recently moved onto the project full time.  I'm working 4 days a week on it now and making good progress.  My hope is to release by the end of the year, but it depends on the upcoming testing.

Brad

This is good news! I have recently viewed a coworker's copy of the Windows app and I like it. I am available for testing when you're ready.

I am running both a MacBook Pro and a MacMini. My mini has Parallels Desktop running with an XP install. So I could easily get the Windows version, but I only have the XP installed for my wife and daughter (training from MS Publisher to Adobe InDesign). I plan to be Windows-free by the end of this year.

Hopefully testing and a stable release of Beersmith is ready by then too!

Drink on people....

likewise with the above statement, id be happy to help out with giving the program a test if you ever need it.

really happy that youre making a mac version, cheers mate!

Brad,

I am excited to hear that you are still working on the Mac version.  I am getting tired of working out my mash schedules by hand.  My heartfelt thanks to you in advance.

C.

altgeeky1 said:
1) Interesting... does the crossplatform library permit other OS systems, such as Linux?

2) To add something to the earlier posts, you folks did see this  correct? :
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

Codeweavers has a better product than Wine (not free). It is actually based on Wine, but they've spent a lot of time working out Wine's bugs. They also have a version for Linux that works well for me with some Windows programs. (I haven't tested Beer Smith in Linux with it, though.)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

I downloaded Crossover but I can't figure out how to start up Beer Smith in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad - Any update on the MAC version? It's been a while and I'm hoping you are close.

Ken

isu664 said:
I downloaded Crossover but I can't figure out how to start up Beer Smith in it. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know the specific of how or why this works but I clicked on the "Install via C4P" at this link and got it to work. http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/?app_id=3483

I'm on trial versions of both but have been playing around with it and had no problems.

Waiting to hear when the new Mac version will be released. I hate to spend $40 on Crossover and $30 on BeerSmith if it is going to be out by year end.

Any update on Mac release date?

Hi,
  Unfortunately I still don't have the beta out, so it looks like I will not make a release before Christmas.  I'm now shooting to get the beta out before Christmas and have the program ready for release early next year.

It has been a tough path - duplicating all of the functionality I built into BeerSmith over the last 7 years has not been easy - even now that I'm working on it essentially full time.

I want to make sure the program is of very high quality, so I'm not going to rush a release.  I'm working very hard to make the Mac and PC versions virtually identical - so there is no difference between the two in functionality or interface.

Brad

Thank you for mentioning the Crossover program to be able to run BeerSmith on the Mac.

I had been keeping BeerSmith on my Hubby's PC and having to kick him off of his computer every time I wanted to brew or update a brewing entry. (Just told him to relax, don't worry and gave him one of my homebrews, LOL!) Now it is currently working on my Mac (with Snow Leopard). I will give it a couple of weeks to make sure it is stable then I will be a super happy camper!

This is still the bestest brewing software I have used! Keep up the great work. I will be happy to upgrade to the Mac version but now that I have the Crossover work-around, I can wait until the Mac version is up and working well :)

Back