beersmith xml

emdubeu

Apprentice
Reaction score
The <DISPLAY_TIME> for <Hop> in the xml file for a recipe displays time. If you have a dry hop addition, the <DISPLAY_TIME> value should be in days, not time. Right?

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<ALPHA>15.0000000</ALPHA>
<AMOUNT>0.0850485</AMOUNT>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<TIME>7200.0000000</TIME>
<NOTES>Bred by CLS Farms, LLC, available on a larger scale for the first time during 2012 harvest. Fits the dual purpose/special mold.
Used for: Experimental Ales
Aroma: Tropical fruit flavors, intense aromas of stone fruits (pear, cherries), candy (Lifesavers), watermelon.
Substitutions: None at this time
Storage: Good
14-16% AA / 7-8% Beta</NOTES>
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>
<DISPLAY_AMOUNT>3.00 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
<INVENTORY>0.00 oz</INVENTORY>
<DISPLAY_TIME>5.0 min</DISPLAY_TIME>

emdubeu said:
The <DISPLAY_TIME> for <Hop> in the xml file for a recipe displays time. If you have a dry hop addition, the <DISPLAY_TIME> value should be in days, not time. Right?

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<NOTES>Bred by CLS Farms, LLC, available on a larger scale for the first time during 2012 harvest. Fits the dual purpose/special mold.
Aroma: Tropical fruit flavors, intense aromas of stone fruits (pear, cherries), candy (Lifesavers), watermelon.
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>

Oginme said:
emdubeu said:

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>

I'm assuming you highlighted that section in red font because that is what you are suggesting I use. However, I need to use the DISPLAY_TIME in hopes that the math conversion to days would already be done. I'm not sure how to convert the <TIME> to days...

Besides, in beersmith, when selecting a hop ingredient, if you choose "dry hop" as your hop use, the Dry Hop for field is used and not the Boil/Steep field.

Attachments

• display time.JPG
    display time.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 311
I'm wondering if this is a defect, now that I've wasted several hours on it.

If you look at this example xml, http://www.beerxml.com/recipes.xml (from http://www.beerxml.com/) you'll notice the DRY HOP reference correctly displays the DISPLAY_TIME as days, which is what I was expecting. I wonder what version of beersmith that example was created with. I'm using Beersmith 2.

Is anyone else seeing minutes in their DISPLAY_TIME field in their xml files when using a dry hop?

Oginme said:
7200 min /60 min/hr = 120 hrs

120 hrs/ 24 hrs/day = 5 days

Thank you; I'll have to use that formula as a work around.

By the way, I'm trying to import the beersmith's xml recipe files into my google spreadsheet in conjunction with this project: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844&page=85

Attachments

• tilt.JPG
    tilt.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 291
I just submitted this to Beersmith, as I believe it is a defect in the xml file.
_________

I believe there is a bug in the beerxml that gets produced when exporting a recipe through Beersmith(version 2).

When you read the exported xml file, for a recipe that utilizes a 5 Day Dry Hop, you'll notice the <DISPLAY_TIME> tag is for 5.0 min and not 5 days. Example xml below.

<HOP>
<NAME>Galaxy</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>Australia</ORIGIN>
<ALPHA>14.0000000</ALPHA>
<AMOUNT>0.0425243</AMOUNT>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<NOTES>
A high alpha, dual purpose seedless hops with a unique hop aroma. It can be used either for bittering or as a late hop addition to provide a flavor of citrus and passionfruit to the finished beer. Aroma: Intense, pleasant, unique.
</NOTES>
<TYPE>Bittering</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>5.9000000</BETA>
<HSI>35.0000000</HSI>
<DISPLAY_AMOUNT>1.50 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
</HOP>

Back