• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

bottle carbing a barlewine

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
After probably close to 2 months in the carboy I finally sampled a Barleywine I brewed based on Widmer drop top. Base malt, C10, special b, and honey malt with a little cane sugar.

Anyways, I used san Diego super yeast, which brought it from 1.102 down to 1.022. I want to bottle condition this one, but I want to make sure it carbonates. I have champagne yeast, so I was thinkin about using that, since the primary yeast is probably a little pooped out
Should I add the champagne yeast to the carboy and let it sit or should i add it on bottling day? I doubt there's any fermentable simple sugars left at this point for the champagne yeast to eat, bur I don't want to add the yeast and overcarb.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Fermentis has a yeast out Safbrew F-2.  No experience with it, have only read about it.

Barley wine would not have much carbonation anyway. Add some priming sugar and bottle it up. Don't touch it for a year.

Freak said:
Barley wine would not have much carbonation anyway. Add some priming sugar and bottle it up. Don't touch it for a year.

+1  I agree!

You're yeast did a nice job fermenting it out.  You still have plenty of yeast in there to do the job.  The beer needs to age for at least a year, as Freak stated, so it's no rush.

My experience with Champagne yeast in beer has been not so good.  Although, I've always used DME to bottle when I used champagne yeast.  Champagne yeast handles fruit sugars well, but doesn't handle barley sugars well.  I might have been more successful, had I used corn sugar.

The WLP090 you used can handle ABV's up to about 12%.  Your beer is at about 10.7% ABV, so you shouldn't have a problem.  If it were me, and I wanted to feel safe, I'd make a starter with the WLP090.  I'd then let it finish out and cold crash it to get the yeast to settle out.  I'd then pour off the beer on top and pitch just the yeast into my bottling bucket along with my priming sugar.

It already tastes fantastic. I'll probably have at least one botttle within 2 weeks of bottling. Then some more around Christmas. I think ill brew this again once my Rye RIS is ready to bottle.
I think ill just bottle it like i normally would, maybe try and get just a little yeast trub into the bottling bucket, not too much tho.. This is the clearest beer I've brewed so far.

Back