• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bulk Grain Storage Containers

"Vittles Vaults" are a popular way to store bulk grain.

There are several sizes and styles of these containers.  I have a few posts on my blog that discuss the various options.  http://www.homebrewfinds.com/search/label/Storage

Thanks guys for all of the input. We went with the "Homer" style buckets with lids, only we got them at Lowes. 25 lbs a bucket. We also bought a plastic "Paint Pail Opener" at Ace. Boy is it the nuts for opening those buckets. While "freshness" is a concern, the Princess was far more concered about oder!. She didn't want the house to smell like the feed store. I was equally concerned about oder, also about pests.  :-[ So far so good. No smell, no pests. We also picked up several 2 gal food grade buckets with lids similar to the big ones. They hold 10 lbs of speciality grains each.  Hops came from Hops Direct. Damn, a pound of leaf hops comes in BIG BAGS! I bought four pounds.  My Christmas presant was a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer. The hops were divided into 4 oz portions and bagged. We used the 3 ply oxygen barrier bag rolls. Then into the freezer. We made the bags 4 to 5 inches longer than necessary so we can re-vac and reseal after each use. So far this all is working great.  :D

We had preplanned our Summer Brews for bottleing. We also had some Drinkin Stock planned to fill our kegs ... Kegs First  ;D  Its been a great excercise in planning what styles we wanted to brew and how to efficently buy stock. We are making our own crystals and toasted malts from the bulk 2-row. We also harvest, wash and repitch 3 strains of yeast.  This has got to be the best Winter Ever!!  Did I tell ya I used to Hate Winter!! ::)  Anyway ......... We"re Brewin!!  Thanks for you Help!!

Preston

Back