• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Color of Beer

HoosierDanny

Apprentice
Reaction score
I mostly brew darker beers, but I want to brew an ale and keep the color lighter.  Any tips.

HoosierDanny said:
I mostly brew darker beers, but I want to brew an ale and keep the color lighter.  Any tips.

Umm, only use Pale or Pilsner malt.

I would choose style's with light color profiles.  You mentioned ales so I would consider a pale ale, kolsch, rogenbeer or perhaps a Belgian beer in the golden category.

Good Luck.

Are you brewing with extract or are you doing all grain?
If your brewing with extract, then you would want to use light or extra light dry malt extract and choose your specialty malts on the lighter side as well. If your doing all grain, then as mentioned, using Pale malts with some light crystal malts would work.
stevemwazup

HoosierDanny said:
I mostly brew darker beers, but I want to brew an ale and keep the color lighter.  Any tips.

Oh that's easy:
Build a callandria or  a steam jacketed brew kettle.

But why? I mean what is the blond going to do for you?

But if you just want to give a blond a shot for the shits and grins of it, you will need to add calcium to balance the alkalinity beyond what the malted grains will.

Back