• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Force carbonation Problem

Ellismr

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've got a problem that is driving me to drink...pun intended.  I generally use the set and wait method and it has worked fine for me over the last three kegs.  this time I cold crashed my beer (black IPA) 24 hours in advance.  transferred it to the clean and sanitized keg and pressurized to 12 PSI for 5 days.  At this point i tested the beer and it was barely carbonated if at all.  I pulled the pressure relief to ensure there was pressure in the keg and that was fine.  I checked my connection with spray bottle of starsan and no bubbles.  I did think that the poppet pressure relief may have been loose so I have tightened it.  I isolated the other IPA on service (that is working fine) and cracked the pressure up to 20 PSI.  I intend to wait 2 days and test again.  Any suggestions?  :-[

I generally go 2 weeks @12 PSI before sampling.  As you noticed @week they are under carbbed

Yeah. Just wait.

I prefer to give it an initial burst of carbonation when I first fill the keg. I put it on 30 psi and rock the keg for a few minutes. That gets it about 3/4 of the way there. Then I drop the psi and fine tune. It's just a little faster.

So you crank it to 30 and rock it then do you drop to 12?  How long do you let it sit?  Thanks.

I first wind it up to about 30 slowly whilst burping the relief valve to remove any air. I then lay the keg on its side and rock it for about 3 minutes. After that I keep it at 30 for 2 days before winding it down to about 15. That works for me.

Back