Grain mill settings

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
What is the general rule if there is one, for the gap settings on an adjustable grain mill. Mine came preset at .039 thousands and I thought it was grinding the barley malt a little to fine. I readjusted it to .045 thousands, the same as some non adjustable mills. Do most people find the .039 setting appropriate and providing the correct grind?
Thanks  Cowboy Up!  :)

I have the Barley Crusher, and had issues after adjusting it myself, so I got a feeler gauge from AutoZone and reset to 0.039.  No problems since doing that. 

For wheat and unmalted wheat I pass it thru by itself first, and then add it to the whole grist for another pass. 

I have the barley crusher myself, and after adjusting it a little too wide for the first home milled batch, I've gone back to the setting on the mill. I've had no issues with a stuck sparge, and I'm using a cooler with a stainless steel mesh line. I grind about two cups and look at it. Being a Newbie All Grain Brewer myself, I wonder "how fine is too fine if you don't get a stuck sparge"?

Chuck

Well, and Denny says...
Tighten the gap until you're scared...then tighten it a little more.

Brew on, :)
jeff

I have the barley crusher myself and I actually narrowed the gap from the pre-set.  I don't have a feeler gauge but it is narrow.  I've never had a stuck sparge due to compaction.  I use a stainless steel braid and batch sparge so some of the worries of fly sparging aren't an issue. 

My biggest fear is astringency issues but to the best I can tell it hasn't become a problem.

Thanks to all for the advice. I reset my mill to the .039 gap, and have brewed several batches since, and it works great. No stuck sparge and a more complete conversion of my grains. Cowboy Up!!    :)

Back