• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Control (and Beersmith)

DrZymurgy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone started using the hop control program (https://hopcontrol.it/) with Beersmith to formulate their beers? It gives nice spider graphs of the hop aroma profiles, but the bitterness does not appear to align up with Beersmith's. I have found Beersmith's IBU calculator to be close to measurable values so I have been tweaking Hop Control to line them up. Anyone else have any experience with this new hop tool and aligning it with Beersmith?

There are 3 hop utilization models available for use in BeerSmith. The models, Tinseth, Garetz and Rager, don't agree with each other.
I don't know whether Hop Control uses, or defaults to, one of these popular models or uses something else. Models are meant to be used as guidelines. Whichever one you use, adjust the utilization in your equipment profile(s) to closely align with either your perceived bitterness or actual measurement.

I understand the difference in models, but the difference for the same hopping schedule is substantial (30 IBU vs. 85 IBU). I was looking for either the hop utilization setting in Beersmith, I could port to Hop Control or Hop Control hop utilization settings as Hop Control provides a lot of analytical data that supplements Beersmith.

Back