• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to adjust pre-boil volume in Beersmith 3

ckilner

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been using Beersmith for many years and I'm always trying to tune it to match reality. Today's puzzle is how to adjust the pre-boil volume to match what I observe.
I have a 50L Braumeister and in my latest brew I used 55L in the mash with 10.83kg grain and 8.5L sparge. Beersmith states that I should top up to 52L for pre-boil but the volume I have pre-boil is:

49L wort + 8L sparge = 57L

Beersmith pre-boil states 52L inc. sparge so that puts me about 5L too much.

How can I adjust Beersmith so that it matches reality?

Regards

I believe you have to edit your equipment profile and change the grain absorption rate

Actually if you go to the Mash tab on your recipe and double click on each mash step you can change the water/grain ratio so it will fit better. I probably would not go below 1 qt/lb though as it will be too thick.

The grain absorption is not in any profile (although it might be a good idea to have it in one). It is a global constant changed by selecting Options --> Advanced Options form the main menu. There are two settings: one for regular mashes and one for BIAB mashes.

--GF

I did a test and steeped 500g crushed grain in 2L water. The volume of water remaining when the grain was removed and drained was 1.75L so it would seem that the grain absorbed half its weight. I have changed the Grain Absorption setting in Options from 0.96 to 0.5

My next brew will be the test.

Back