• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to deal with mash tun that is full to the brim ...

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all ...
Hope the brewing is going well ...

I recently got a recipe from a friend of a friend of what was supposed to be a clone of one of the regional craft brewers.  I had sampled this beer at a little beer fest here in town a while back and really liked.
I had searched a lot to see if anyone had made up a clone.  Never could find one.
The web site was of no use.
The brewery is Lucky Labs in Portland, Or.  The beer was Super Dog.  I really liked it.
So, anyway, I have this recipe that I have put into Beersmith.
Here is my issue.
I do 10gal batches.  I have a 15gal keggle for my pot.
I have a 75 qt. (17.5 gal) cooler for a mash tun.
When I do my recipe, I am dangerously close or even over the capacity of my mash tun.
I can bring down the Est OG to get it to fit in the mash tun, but then I am just under the 17.5gal capacity.
Too full to really stir it properly!
And I don't want bring down the OG too much.
What are my options?
Get a bigger mash tun?  I have considered a 25gal cooler that would handle most of the big beers that I might want to make.  Can't afford that right now.
Keep tweaking the recipe until it fits?
Just make 8 gals instead of 10?
Anyway to split the mash up into two sessions?
I know there are many ways to make a batch of beer.
I am curious what tricks Beersmith and it's users have up the sleeves that might be able to do this.

I have attached the recipe.
Yes, I know it is very hoppy and the IBU's are up there a little.  I just like that.
I'm more about what I like for taste than what the style says it should be!
Anyway, thanks for the info ...
Bob

Attachments

• Super Dog IPA.bsmx
    28.8 KB · Views: 201
SkyFlyer said:
Just make 8 gals instead of 10?

I would do this, or mash to capacity and make up OG with DME. 

Would be more interesting (to me) to see if I could replicate the flavor with AG, and just do the smaller batch.  If I did, I would then convince myself that I REALLY needed that bigger pot because it's obvious my equipment is just holding me back.  :D

Back