• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lack of Perceived Bitterness

haerbob3 said:
Have you ever tried Honey Malt?  Thinking about trying that malt out some more.  One thing that does not work well for honey flavor is priming with it.  Every-time I have done it I did not get any honey flavor.

Every time I've primed with honey I've gotten inconsistent carbonation.  Some are undercarbed, some overcarbed to the point of gushers and some are perfectly carbed.  I've given up on it.

I've also found honey to be inconsistent.
On the brewing slate is a red ale. I want to add some honey malt rather than honey this time.
Not sure how much. I've heard it's powerful stuff. Just want a hint. Not have my eyes roll back of the head.
Perhaps keep under 10%?

Sugar content in honey varies from hive to hive, variety to variety, season to season if you use unprocessed  honey.  And the type of artificial sweetener used by the packager in most grocery honey will make a difference.  As far as flavor goes if you use grocery honey your basically using colored & artificially sweetened corn syrup.  There are a lot of publications on this, here is one
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.VLb7bmctE5g
Once the artificial sweet is gone there's nothing left to taste.  If you want to see the difference go direct to a beekeeper or else flea markets usually have local unprocessed honey.  That should make a huge difference.  Although its not the only indicator, if its clear don't buy it.  Don't believe the 'raw' on the labeling means unprocessed either.  It doesn't.

Back