• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash PH and Water Treatment

bswanton

New Forum Member
Reaction score
BS Forum Members,

I tried using vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to remove chloramines from my tap water.  It takes about 1,000 mg of vitamin C (ascorbic acid form) to remove chloramines from 40 gallons of water or 0.125 g for 5 gallons.  I have a 0.1 g resolution scale, so probably add too much.  Mash PH came out quite low.  I saw posts about adjusting the lactic acid addition by dividing by 1.65 and will try that, but I'm wondering if the software can account for vitamin c additions.

I do not currently have support for Vitamin C additions.

Brad

BS Forum Members,

I tried using vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to remove chloramines from my tap water. It takes about 1,000 mg of vitamin C (ascorbic acid form) to remove chloramines from 40 gallons of water or 0.125 g for 5 gallons. I have a 0.1 g resolution scale, so probably add too much. Mash PH came out quite low. I saw posts about adjusting the lactic acid addition by dividing by 1.65 and will try that, but I'm wondering if the software can account for vitamin c additions.

It's interesting that you're using vitamin C to remove chloramines from your tap water for brewing. Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is known for its antioxidant properties and is often used in skincare products and dietary supplements. However, using it for water treatment in brewing is less common but can be effective.

Regarding your question about whether brewing software can account for vitamin C additions, it depends on the specific software you're using. Some brewing software may have the option to input unconventional water treatment methods, while others may not.

If your software doesn't have a specific feature for vitamin C additions, you might have to manually adjust your water chemistry calculations based on the amount of vitamin C you're adding. Dividing your lactic acid addition by 1.65, as you mentioned, could be a good starting point, but it's always a good idea to do a small-scale test batch to fine-tune your process before brewing a full batch.

Overall, using vitamin C to remove chloramines is an innovative approach, and with some careful adjustment, you should be able to achieve the desired water chemistry for your brew.

It's interesting that you're using vitamin C to remove chloramines from your tap water for brewing. Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is known for its antioxidant properties and is often used in skincare products and dietary supplements. However, using it for water treatment in brewing is less common but can be effective.

Regarding your question about whether brewing software can account for vitamin C additions, it depends on the specific software you're using. Some brewing software may have the option to input unconventional water treatment methods, while others may not.

If your software doesn't have a specific feature for vitamin C additions, you might have to manually adjust your water chemistry calculations based on the amount of vitamin C you're adding. Dividing your lactic acid addition by 1.65, as you mentioned, could be a good starting point, but it's always a good idea to do a small-scale test batch to fine-tune your process before brewing a full batch.

Overall, using vitamin C to remove chloramines is an innovative approach, and with some careful adjustment, you should be able to achieve the desired water chemistry for your brew.
A better AI response than most other for sure but still an artificially generated answer that does very little to address the original question... asked 4 years ago. @strengthmogul will never answer directly or offer real world experience because he/she is a bot and does not exist.

Back